I can design a wine event around most any theme and budget, from a basic introduction to wine to an in-depth exploration of the most outlandish and bizarre wines of the world. Everything I do is designed to be both fun and educational... and I promise, there'll be none of that technically silly wine-speak that can intimidate so many people.
Looking for something different at your next conference or retreat? How about an interactive wine education workshop or team-building event?
Whether you're looking for a presentation on the state of the wine industry or a hands-on tasting, I can offer a fun break from your group's main agenda. Activities like blind tastings can help participants develop a wine vocabulary, discover the reality of price vs. quality, and help put everyone from the experienced wine consumer to the novice drinker on an even playing field.
As a former Events Director for a major Conference and Performing Arts Facility in the New York Metropolitan Area, I have years of experience working with corporate and non-profit clients. For details on how I can help at your next function, contact me today. Past clients have included IBM, Kraft Foods, Danone, JP Morgan Chase, GE Capital, The Bank of New York, PepsiCo, Virgin America, Deutsche Bank, Pace University, Oberlin College, and many others.
Some Event Ideas...
Group Tasting and Team Building
Without doubt one of the most popular events I have done involves guests in a blind tasting attempting to identify quality and various elements of the wines tasted.
After an introductory talk to get everybody up to speed on how to taste like the pros, teams of guests will work together answering questions and discussing the wines. I provide notes which might help provide vital clues.
We might try to address questions like:
•Which of the wines seems more ready to drink now?
•Would you guess the winemaker was named John or Jacques?
•Which of these wines is likely to be the most/least expensive?
The object is to work as a team to discern various basic characteristics of wines tasted. Invariably, the element of competition and education combine to ensure truly memorable entertainment. Everybody has an opportunity to contribute.
The Cocktail Party Option
Sometimes time or space constraints require guests to mingle and blind taste at leisure. An introductory talk sets the scene and I am on hand throughout to give tasting tips and hints to questions about the wines being tasted.
Please inquire about fees for these events, as each option is customized to your specific needs.
The themes of WINEBAER events are only limited by the imagination. There are many ways to explore wines' similarities, differences, and unique atributes through taste, but why stop there? How about cooking a meal to go with your wines? Or what about a wine shopping and tasting party? If you are up for the silly and outlandish, SO AM I!
Some themes to consider:
• Grape Specific Comparison
• Geographic Specific Comparison
• Vintage Specific Comparison• Wine & Food Pairing
• Great Wine Values
• How to Read a Wine List
• Food Friendly Wines
• The Best Wines You've Never Heard Of
• Old World vs. New World Wines
• Understanding Wine Styles• Help! All I want is something to drink!
• pricing is based on the event theme, length of the event, and the wines selected, and is determined after consultation.
SMALL GROUP EVENTS
These are informal tastings designed for up to 24 people.
At these casuals events, you and your guests relax and enjoy a tasting and discussion which I will lead. Emphasis is placed on the basics of tasting wine, dispelling wine myths, and great tips on pairing wines with food. Typically eight wines are tasted: often one sparkling, three whites, three reds, and a dessert wine.
• Up to eight wines are included in the price.
• Wines are served one at a time.
• Detailed tasting notes are provided.
• Glassware can be provided.
• These tastings run about two-hours. Prices start at $400 for up to 12 people and $750 for up to 24 people.
• In most cases a deposit or full payment is required in advance.
• Payment is accepted by cash, checks, and credit cards (via PayPal).
LARGE GROUP EVENTS
This event is designed as a walk-around tasting for groups of more than 24 guests.
Your guests arrive, pick up a glass, and enjoy a sparkling wine to begin. When all have arrived, I give a brief introduction on tasting tips and the theme of the event. Then everyone can walk around at their own pace to taste the wines arranged in logical tasting order around the room. I am on hand to answer questions, pour wines, mingle, etc.
• 8 (but no more than 10) wines are recommended for this type of event.
• I typically serve, but pourers can be provided if necessary. Volunteers from the client may also pour.
• Detailed tasting notes are provided.
• Glassware can be provided, as needed, for an additional fee.
• Hors d'oeuvres or some sort of light buffet meal is suggested. Caterer recommendations can be provided or you can make your own arrangements.
• These tastings run two-to-three hours. Fees start at $35/person with a guarantee of $875. The fee includes wines in the $10-$30 retail range. Higher priced wines and a wider tasting range can be made available at an additional fee.
• Payment in full is required in advance of the event. A deposit may be required to hold certain dates. Credit card payments accepted via PayPal. Cash and checks are also accepted.